Blue Eyes technology aims to create computer machines that are able to perceive and feel like a human being. It uses a discrete scanning method using most modern video cameras and microphones to identify the user’s actions based on the transmitted sensory abilities. The machine can understand what the user wants, where he looks and even recognize his physical or emotional state. Blue Eyes technology is a complete solution for monitoring and recording the conscious brain involvement and physiological state of the surgeon. This indicates further developments in the area of the interfaces between the brain and the computer.
Imagine living in a world where people interact with computers. You are sitting in front of your PC, which can listen, talk or even shout very loudly. It has the ability to collect information about you and communicate with you through special techniques such as facial recognition, speech recognition, etc. It can even understand your emotions with the click of a mouse. It checks your identity, detects your presence and starts communicating with you. You ask the computer to call your friend’s number in his office. He recognizes the urgency of the situation with a mouse, calls the number of his friend in the office and makes a connection.
Human cognition depends primarily on the ability to perceive, interpret and integrate audiovisual material, and on the censorship of information. If computers had extraordinary perceptual abilities, they could work with people as intimate partners. Researchers are trying to add other functions to computers that allow them to communicate with people, recognise human gifts, talk, listen or even guess their feelings.
The Blue Eyes system consists of a mobile measuring device, called the Data Acquisition Unit (DAU), and a central analysis system, called the Central System Unit (CSU), which are connected via Bluetooth. The DAU collects information from the sensor and transmits it via Bluetooth and delivers the messages sent by the CSU to the operator. The CSU buffers data from incoming sensors and provides a visualization interface.
The basic idea of Blue Eyes technology is to give the computer human performance, that is.
- It uses a discrete scanning method using most modern video cameras and microphones to identify the user’s actions based on the transmitted sensory abilities.
- The Blue-eye system monitors physiological parameters such as eye movement, heart rate and oxygen saturation of the blood for abnormal and undesirable values and activates appropriate alarms if necessary.
- The Blue Eye technology requires the creation of a personal network connecting all operators and the monitoring system.
- While the operator senses the condition of the controlled system through his sight and hearing, the monitoring system monitors his physiological condition.
- Using a miniature CMOS camera integrated in the eye movement sensor, the system can calculate the viewing angle and observe what the user actually sees.
Hardware and software are loaded into the Blue Eyes system. The Blue Eyes system can be used in any working environment that requires the constant attention of the operator. The hardware consists of a DAU and a CSU.
The following figure gives an overview of the Blue Eyes technology. (Photo credits – mepits.com)
Blue Eyes Technology Overview
The blue in this term means Bluetooth, which enables reliable wireless communication, and the eyes, because by moving your eyes you can get a lot of interesting and important information. Since the aim is to monitor and record the surgeon’s basic physiological parameters, the most important physiological activity is the movement of the eyes. In order for the computer to detect eye movements, wiring is required between the operator and the system. However, this severely limits the operator’s mobility and hampers his work in large control rooms. This requires the use of wireless technology, which can be implemented using Bluetooth technology.
Paul Eckmann’s work on facial expression has linked the emotional state of the individual to physiological measures, which describe a coding system for facial acts (Eckmann and Rosenberg, 1997). In his experiment the participants were connected to instruments to record certain measurements, including heart rate, galvanic skin reaction (GSR), temperature and somatic movements.
The experiment uses devices attached to the participants to record certain measurements, including pulse rate, galvanic skin reaction (GSR), temperature and somatic movements. Six participants were trained to show the faces of six great emotions: Anger, fear, sadness, disgust, joy and surprise. Physiological changes related to the effect were assessed and analysed. Because of the need to cast these measures in a reduced and not intrusive form, we will consider taking these measures out of hand, which requires an emotional sensor such as a mouse.
In the first analysis, the Multidimensional Scaling Method (MDS) was used to determine the dimension of the data, and it was suggested that the physiological similarities and differences of six emotional states apply in a four-dimensional model.
In the second analysis, the discriminatory function was used to determine a mathematical function that would distinguish six emotional states, suggesting that the four physiological variables are sufficient to distinguish six states.
- Human error remains one of the most common causes of disasters (accidents) and environmental disasters, as the human contribution to the overall functioning of the system is neglected.
- The control units in the machine have largely automated them, so that the human operator becomes a passive observer of the system to be controlled, resulting in less fatigue and alertness, but the user must be active.
- It is possible that the user does not notice significant changes in the measured values that have financial or environmental consequences endangering human life. It is therefore very important that the surgeon’s brain is involved in the active system and controls the entire work period.
The Blue Eyes system provides technical tools to monitor and record the physiological condition of the human surgeon.
- Visual Attention Monitoring (Eye Movement Analysis)
- Monitoring of the physiological condition (pulse, oxygen supply in the blood), determination of the surgeon’s position (standing, lying down).
- Physiological data, the voice of the operator and a general picture of the control centre of the representation of the recorded data.
The Blue Eyes system can be used in any working environment that requires the constant attention of the operator:
- In power plants
- Operation Control Centres
- Professional driver
Blue-eye technology offers a convenient way to simplify your life by providing finer, more practical tools in your computer equipment. Now that we have proven this method, the next step is to improve the equipment. Instead of using bulky modules to collect information about users, it is preferable to use smaller and less intrusive modules. The day is not far away that this technology will invade your family and make you lazy. Blue Eye technology has been developed to reduce stress, using advanced facial expression technology to assess the intensity of manageable stress. These new capabilities may relate to areas such as industry, transport, military command centres or operating theatres.
blue eyes technology questions,blue eyes technology journal